An afternoon with Dr Daniel Chang on fractional lasers.
Today, I shall share with you folks about fractional lasers. These lasers have been the rage in the Korea for it’s high efficacy and minimal downtime. Just do a google search and you would know what I mean. So the ever curious me decided to try it on myself, WITHOUT numbing cream.
Perhaps I am blessed with thick skin, the pain was tolerable.
Anyhow, lets wait 6 weeks for the results… To be continued…
Clear and Brilliant Laser
What can it be used for?
- For achieving that youthful glow and radiance in dull, tired skin
- For an even skin tone and texture
- To minimize your pores
- Longer-term improvements through collagen remodeling and slowing down ageing to maintain a fuller, younger looking you
What is the schedule for treatment?
- 4 sessions, spaced 3- 4 weeks apart
What are the post care instructions?
- It is highly advisable to avoid prolonged exposure to the sun for 3 weeks.
- Apply sunblock regularly. This is usually applied last, just under your makeup.
- Your doctor might add other creams or oral antibiotics, depending on your skin type.
- Do not apply any acidic, harsh or biting products like Retinoids, AHA & BHA (e.g. glycolic, salicylic acid) lotions or strong acne creams (e.g. benzoyl peroxide) on your face for 10 days after.
What is the downtime?
- Minimal, 3-5 days
What can you expect?
Immediately after fractional laser treatment, your face may feel slightly stinging like a “sun-burnt” effect. It may look pinkish red and feel tight.
This redness and stinging sensation can last 24 – 48 hours. During this period, wash your face gently with plain water or gentle soaps.
Depending on the laser energy levels used, your face may look bronze (golden brownish) after 2 days. You might see tiny brown “pixels”, which can look like a brown net over your face.
This signifies the start of the recovery period. You are allowed to apply makeup to camouflage the bronze look.
You will experience dry skin flaking off (pixels dropping off) which usually resolves completely in 5 – 7 days.
Most patients tend to see improvement in their skin tone and texture after 3 or more sessions.
Speak to you physician for further information.
(photo courtesy of Solta)