Genetically, we Asians are wired to have bigger calf muscles and jaw muscles. Hence, from a visual point of view, we have an unflattering square shaped jaw and bulky calves.
- Cutting down on those high heels that you so love.
- Wearing more flats.
- Being careful with how you walk.
So what is Botulinum Toxin A (Botox)?
It is a muscle relaxant, designed to block the signalling at the neuromuscular junction.
How is it done?
The toxin is injected to your calf muscle (gastrocnemius) at 3 to 6 sites, depending on your anatomy.
You will notice the width of the calf shrinking in 10 days and continue to do so over the next 6 weeks.
What are the advantages of botox calf slimming?
- Doing botox injections will give you a slimmer contour to your calves.
- The pain on injection is minimal, and leaves no scars.
- Lasting for 6 months, you can do maintainence top ups to continue the effect. And with subsequent treatments, the botox will last longer.
How do we define slim calves?
Generally, the consensus is when the circumference of the calves is less than 25% of the length of the leg.
How long does the procedure take?
Depending on your anatomy, but generally it is over in 5 min.
What are the side effects?
Mild aching, swelling and bruising around the injection site. These are transient and will not interfere with your work.
So the journey to slim calves starts here. I hope this has been useful.
Dr Daniel Chang